Tuesday, 02 September 2014 23:45
beggarly

Sitemap XML view issue

Report Xmap bugs on this forum.

Sitemap XML view issue

Postby jpgburgess » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:55 am

Hi Guilleva,

I've installed XMAP 1.2 on a couple of sites now including my own. I think it's excellent and had had no problems, ever, until now.

My sitemap seems fine in HTML - there is a link on my main menu to http://www.goldfigure.co.uk/index.php?o ... &sitemap=1

The XML version has been submitted to Google and seems to parse ok but if I try to view this in my browser I get validation issues. I can't think why this will not work and I have spend several hours this morning trying to track down the problem and fix.

Validome.org reports that the XML is valid but it will not display in Firefox, IE or Chrome. http://www.validome.org/xml/validate/?l ... ex.php%3fo
ption=com_xmap%26sitemap=1%26view=xml%26no_html=1

My XML sitemap is here: http://www.goldfigure.co.uk/index.php?o ... &no_html=1

This is another site I manage, mostly the same Joomla extensions and it works http://www.scannerhire.co.uk/index.php? ... &no_html=1

Are you able to give me any guidance?

Many thanks,
Jeremy

Components / plugins I use which may interfere:
sh404SEF 1.0.11_Beta
Attachments 1.3.4
JoomlaPack 1.2.1
SEOSimple plugin
jpgburgess
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Re: Sitemap XML view issue

Postby jpgburgess » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:12 pm

Here you go - strange solution...

The error was telling me that the </xsl:stylesheet tag was not properly closed. I wondered why it was missing the last character. There was a carriage return in the source file (gss.xsl) right after the closing > so it wasn't the very last character in the file.

The solution: add one additional carriage return to the file.

Weird.

My ISP recently upgraded the version of PHP on their servers. I suppose that may have been the cause. I certainly haven't edited gss.xsl.

It works now...

Regards,
jeremy
jpgburgess
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Re: Sitemap XML view issue

Postby jpgburgess » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:29 pm

I thought I had cured the problem but Google - "he say no!"

Google Wwebmaster Tools rejects the sitemap despite the fact that it looks properly formatted in Firefox. It seems I have a BOM character at the start of the generated map which comes from being encoded as UTF-8. The rogue characters are clearly visible if you look at the XML sitemap rendered through the YellowPipe Lynx Viewer: http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/lynx/IElynxviewEXT.cgi?url=http://www.goldfigure.co.uk/index.php/component/option,com_xmap/lang,en/no_html,1/sitemap,1/view,xml/

Does anyone have any bright ideas on removal? I have completely re-installed XMAP (and deleted the database tables. I have changed all references to UTF-8 to iso-8859-1 and since they didn't work, changed them all back.

Help... please. :)
jpgburgess
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Re: Sitemap XML view issue

Postby jpgburgess » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:37 pm

Erm, ok. Fixed it myself.

It was all due to a few stray BOMs. The BOM is the UTF-8 Byte-Order Mark and in the Lynx viewer it was showing up as "". Tracking it down was less easy.

In a nutshell I downloaded an entire copy of my Joomla site to my local machine. I found this article (http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=275353&p=1410254) on the Joomla forums and remembered that I desperately needed GREP.

grep32.exe which I have on my Vista machine is great but it's not the real McCoy and for a start is not able to recurse the deep folder tree of my downloaded Joomla code. A bit of digging later and I found http://www.cygwin.com/ which installed painlessly and gave me a proper port of the Linux grep on my machine.

So, embarrasingly it turned out in part to be my fault. A couple of plugins I wrote had been edited in Visual Studio where I had unknowingly saved in UTF-8 with the BOM. Thankfully it wasn't all my fault and some other .ini and .php files had the same problem. The simplest fix was to open each of the offending files in Notepad.exe - File... Save As... itself but remember to choose ANSII format instead of UTF-8.

Job done. Move on... :)

Detailed fix found on my website: http://www.goldfigure.co.uk/index.php/Blog/How-to-guides/taking-the-bom-byte-order-mark-out-of-joomla
jpgburgess
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am


Return to Bugs



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest